Well my last post was the Obligatory 2017 Review, this one is the 2018 Goals. This weekend represents a time of both reflection and looking forward for me. I have a regular ritual I go through of reviewing the year before and documenting what I want for the upcoming year. For the first time I’m listing out my writing goals separately.
In no particular order:
- My work in progress fantasy novel needs to be completed, then edited and prepared for beta readers. I also want to integrate it into Aeon and map out the sequels.
- I want to assemble 5-8 short stories involving a pair of scoundrels I’ve been writing about for many years. I’ve got 4 stories well underway already. Not sure what I’ll do with these – maybe try to self-publish or submit them as a series.
- Submit 10+ flash fiction pieces. I’d also like to enter some of the various contests.
- I want to get to 5000+ Twitter followers (I’m at about 1360 at the time of this writing). I also want to contribute to some of the various writing groups like #whoneedsahero (Fridays) and #scifansat (Saturdays)
- Submit 10+ drabble pieces
- Read Vogler’s “The Writer’s Journey” and C.S. Lankin’s “The 12 Key Pillars of Novel Construction“
- I need to figure out more tricks with Scrivener and figure out how to use Aeon
- Indie books – I’m going to research what the publishing process is like. I also intend to actively shop for indie books for my personal reading and enjoyment. I’ll also explore Amazon’s KDP.
- I will start doing reviews for the books I read this year to benefit the authors.
- I will work hard to ensure this blog site is practical and useful. I’d like to expand what’s here beyond the Submissions list I currently have posted.
- Win NaNoWriMo2018
I’m excited for the upcoming year! Comment what your writing goals are for the year below.